China Produces – Quality Genie Products And 50% Faster Lead Times For Aussie Customers
Tuesday 07 April 2015 @ 15:43
TEREX TOPPED UP THE INVESTMENT IN ITS STATE-OF-THE ART FACTORY IN CHANGZHOU CHINA, AND GENIE CUSTOMERS IN AUSTRALIA ARE SET TO BE THE MAJOR BENEFICIARIES.
The Terex China manufacturing facility is located in the Yangtze River Delta. The factory designs and manufactures Genie aerial work platforms (AWPs), including mobile single work platforms, materials handling lifts, boom and scissor type work platforms.
“The factory was built four years ago with the express aim of supplying the Chinese market with predominantly locally built products,” said Brad Lawrence, General Manager, Terex Aerial Work Platforms (AWP) Australia. “It started with a few models. But it became apparent that local customers wanted more. They wanted machines with US specs!”
"In response to customer demands, the Terex China factory now supplies the whole of Asia Pacific including Australia with American type machines,” said Lawrence, who led a delegation of Terex AWP Australian sales reps to the Changzhou plant in early March to meet with its engineers. “The focus is now about getting manufacturing facilities such as the Changzhou plant closer to where our customers are to help shorten delivery times.”
The shift in focus at Changzhou has clearly been a stunning success. Over the past 18 months, the factory has produced 13 models including six booms and seven scissors. Sourcing products from the Terex China factory has slashed lead times on Genie products in Australia by 50 percent from eight weeks to four weeks, according to Lawrence, who is resolute that quality has not been compromised. “It’s been the aim of the Changzhou factory to have equal or better quality than the US. They are sourcing the parts from exactly the same places as the Genie factories in the US.”
Central to the success of the Terex China facility was the appointment of Clint Weber, as general manager. “Clint was a plant manager in the US and was moved to China. He has effectively built up the product range, which they’re currently offering,” said Lawrence.
“Clint is very much focussed on the Genie values of achieving high quality products and has brought that same culture to the factory in Changzhou,” said Lawrence. “This facility is by far the most modern factory we have globally.”
In fact the Changzhou facility is so good that it will also be manufacturing products for the American market. “It makes some products solely for the world market such as, the Genie® S™-125 telescopic boom,” said Lawrence. “The Changzhou factory is the only facility that makes these products.”
- New Genie Z™-62/40 Boom Lift Launched in Australia
- HRIA Convention 2015 - Genie launches record number of new products
- China Produces – Quality Genie Products And 50% Faster Lead Times For Aussie Customers
- Malcolm McIntosh Joins the Team as Quality, Training and Technical Support Manager
- Access Solutions expands with Help from Genie as Christchurch rebuilds
- EWPA addresses safety with secondary guarding demonstrations
- Access Hire Australia puts three Genie® SX-180 boom lifts to work in Darwin
- General Manager's Message - Winter 2015
- Genie stars at big USA show
- Genie service support goes round the clock
- Genie Service Managers and their direct contact details